The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria on Saturday assured intending pilgrims for the 2023 Hajj that there would not be further changes on the fare paid.
A statement by the Deputy Director of Information, Mousa Ubandawak, said the Chairman/CEO of NAHCON, Alhaji Zikrullah Hassan, said this in Abuja during the opening ceremony of a one-day workshop organised in collaboration with the Saudi Ministry of Hajj and Umrah.
He said that training and capacity building for pilgrims groups and leaders were part of the initiative to train Nigerian Hajj managers on crowd control and management communication skills, information and awareness campaigns.
The chairman said that despite the $250 increment imposed by the air carriers, the commission will not impose the extra cost on the pilgrims.
“It is true that the air carriers have increased the charges by $250 because of the closure of the Sudanese airspace, though we are still consulting to find an avenue to address the increase. However, whatever decision that we may arrive at, it won’t impact or require the pilgrims to pay additional charges,” he said.
The chairman also expressed dismay at the additional $63 charges for camp and electronic applications in visa processing cost by the Ministry of Hajj contrary to what had earlier been agreed by the two parties that there would not be any extra cost at the pre-Hajj meeting.
“Though we have written to protest this and we are hoping for a positive response despite that we have borne the cost without transferring same to the pilgrim,” Zikrullah said.
Zikrullah however prayed for the peaceful resolution of the Sudan crisis to save the lives of the innocent Sudanese.
He urged all feuding parties to stealth their swords in the interest of Islam, the innocent pilgrims and the country.
Zikrullah also urged participants at the workshop to take the training seriously stressing that the workshop has the potential to impact positively the success of this year’s Hajj.